Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

Want to save your neck and back from the up down up down up down bobble-head bob that happens when you are trying to finalize the profile of your pot on the wheel? Put a mirror in front of you and you can see it in reflection. It takes all of about one day to get so hooked on it that you miss it when you don't have one!

My grandfather used to say, "you are never a finished product." Just when I start to feel like I have a fairly good mastery of clay, an idea like this one comes along and reminds me. I have taken hundres of classes and seminars, apprenticed, read about pottery all the time, visit studios, watch videos on YouTube, but this one came where I didn't expect - a beginning pottery class I was required to take to get a studio card at my local community pottery center.

When I first signed up, I almost did an eye roll. Surely I could just throw something real quick-like and prove my potting prowess. But rules are rules so I found myself in a class with Deborah Harris - a wonderful person and fantastic potter in Chapel Hill, NC. Day one she talked about conserving energy and showed us this trick. At that point I had been making pots for over 20 years. I am still amazed I never ran across it before.

Just goes to show....you are truly never a finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment